Monuments and tombstones

The Joseph Anton Perlath Monument

Owner: The town parish

The monument is located outside the parish church (see sketch).

The monument is to the memory of the Tyrolean struggle for freedom of 1809. In the center, one sees the town mayor (kneeling), Joseph Anton Perlath, nobleman of Kaltenburg. To the left, there are two French officers. Perlath's actions saved Klausen / Chiusa from the threat of plundering and pillaging by the French (December 5, 1809). As the inscription indicates, the defender of the land, Josef Plaitz, was shot on the Ansheim Meadow on December 25, 1809.

The Gravestone of Franz Leopold Balthasar Zungenberg

 

Owner: The town parish

The monument is located on the outside of the Parish Church (see sketch).

This beautiful marble grave marker memorializes Franz Leopold Balthasar Freiherr ("Baron") von Zungenberg. This family came from Bosnia. Franz Leopold's father served in the Turkish army. 

During the siege of Budapest (1686), he was captured by the Austrians, changed his name (from "Czonka Beg" to "Zungenberg"), and converted to Catholicism. His son Franz Leopold Balthasar, to whom this gravestone is dedicated, had a successful career in the Austrian army.

Gravestone

 

Owner: The town parish

This gravestone is located outside of the Parish Church (see sketch).

This is the oldest gravestone at the Parish Church. It is decorated with coats of arms and helmets, and is dedicated to the memory of the deaths of Michael Luz zu Glatsch (1582) and his spouse Rosina (1605). 

The Family Plot of the Jenner Family

Owner: The town parish

This gravestone is located outside of the Parish Church (see sketch).

The Jenner Family was especially successful in Klausen / Chiusa. For over two hundred years, members of this family held influential and prestigious positions. At the same time, they had many valuable buildings constructed in the city or acquired several already-existent ones, e.g., the Sparkassengebäude ("Savings & Loan Building" - see No. 12), the Bärburg (Nr. 20) and Seebegg (Nr. 21) Manors, and the inn Gasthof Grauer Bär (No. 25). Christoph Jenner the Elder founded a chapel for the deceased members of the family and simultaneously donated a large sum of money so that a Mass for the Souls of the Dead could be said every year and also to give the poor of the town an opulent meal as well as provide them with clothing. In 1636, his nephew Abraham Jenner had the valuable copper-inlaid and gold-plated epitaph for Maximilian Kössler Pöckh made. It depicts the Taking-Down of Christ from the Cross.

The Dürer Stone

Owner: City of Klausen / Chiusa
Viewing: This memorial stone can be reached by foot in a few minutes. Starting at the Andreas Bridge, use the footpath Lajen / Laion (marked red/white, Trail No. 5).

During his first journey to Italy (1494/95), Albrecht Dürer dwelt for a while in Klausen / Chiusa. The Eisack / Isarco was flooding at the time, and Dürer was unable to continue his journey to the south. During this stay in Klausen / Chiusa, Dürer painted a watercolor depicting the city. He used this motif years later as the background for his copper etching "Nemesis - Das Grosse Glück" ("Nemesis – The Great Fortune"). Because it's a print, the city is shown reversed, but it's quite easily identified. 

In remembrance of the great artist's visit here, this commemorative stone made of blue-gray Diorite was placed here and formally unveiled on August 18, 1912.

The Jubiläumsbrunnen ("Jubilee Fountain")

Owner: Abbey of Säben / Sabiona
Viewing: The fountain is located in the Monastery Church. It is open to the public for viewing.

The fountain was commissioned in 1986 by the Südtiroler Sparkasse ("South Tyrolean Savings & Loan") on the occasion of celebrations for the 300th anniversary of the monastery.
The artist Martin Rainer from Brixen / Bressanone depicts the religious and historical development of the Holy Mount of Tyrol. In the middle, one sees the symbol of the Holy Trinity, the eye of God the Father, the lamb with the cross representing God the Son, and the dove (above the water) symbolizing the Holy Spirit. In the middle, we see the council bishop Ingenuin, who is passing along the A and Ω representing the Holy Scriptures to his successors up to the present day. The history of the Säben / Sabiona Order is personified by the two outer figures. To the left, one sees St. Benedict. To the right, St. Scholastica can be seen with a novice and the well-known motto "Ora et Labora" The building rising up from the water represents Säben / Sabiona as a place of pilgrimage and sanctuary. The pilgrims are coming from the left and right. The first of them is squatting in order to drink – or, metaphorically speaking, in order to quench his thirst at the source of faith. The group to the right includes the residents of the Gader / Badia Valley, who for centuries have been making pilgrimages to the sanctuary every third year.

The Old Bistumsgrenze ("Border of the Bishopric")

Owner: City of Klausen / Chiusa

Since 2002, two stones bearing coats of arms have been located at this site.

These two stones bearing coats of arms date back to the year 1750. Since the establishment of the Bishopric of Säben / Sabiona in the second half of the 6th Century until the year 1818, the mountain-pass (defile) of Säben / Sabiona and the Tinne / Tina Brook the border between the bishoprics of Säben (later: Brixen / Bressanone) and Trient / Trento. In 1027, when the bishop of Brixen / Bressanone became the territorial ruler, the border advanced to become also the provincial boundary between the ecclesiastical principalities of Brixen / Bressanone and Trient / Trento and thus also between the archdiocese and the County of Tyrol.

Monument to Alexander Koester

Monument in the park at the Bahnhofsstrasse. Open to the public.

Alexander Koester (1864 – 1932) is considered to have been one of the most significant artists to visit Klausen at the turn of the 19th to the 20th century. Due to his marriage to Isabella Kantioler, the daughter of a Klausen innkeeper, he and his family took up residence here. It was during his years in Klausen, his most-important creative period, that Koester painted his famous depictions of ducks.
The monument in Klausen was created by the South Tyrolean artist Martin Rainer and unveiled in the year 2005.

Mount of Olives Scene

Owner: Klausen Parish
This wood sculpture is located on the exterior of the Parish Church, to the right of the side portal.

The sculpture depicts Jesus on the Mount of Olives, an angel lifting a goblet towards Him, and the sleeping disciples. In the background, Jerusalem spreads out underneath heavily clouded skies. Judas and the captors are entering through the gate.
The relief dates back to about the year 1600 and was created by an unknown, but very productive master. Stylistically, it can be categorized as "Late Gothic".

Monument to Joachim Haspinger

Monuments in the Capuchin Garden

Open to the public.

Artist: Josef Piffrader from Klausen. Unveiled in 1908.
Originally, this monument was situated at the Pfarrplatz, and later at the Eisack Promenade. It has been located in the Capuchin Garden since 1992.
It depicts Joachim Haspinger (1776-1858) from St. Martin in Gsies. He was the comrade and fellow struggler and also an intimate confidante of the Tyrolean freedom fighter Andreas Hofer. In 1802, Haspinger joined the Capuchin Order. Starting in 1808, he resided in the monastery in Klausen. After the portentous last battle at Bergisel (in November of 1809), he fled from Tyrol and lived in Vienna and Salzburg, where he died in 1858.

Founding of the Capuchin Monastery

Monuments in the Capuchin Garden

Open to the public.

Artist: Martin Rainer from Brixen. Unveiled in 1999.

Rainer (who died in 2012 at the age of 89) was among the most-famous South Tyrolean sculptors of the present.
This monument depicts the Capuchin monk Gabriel Pontifeser (at the right) and Queen Maria Anna von Neuburg-Pfalz (at the left). The two are holding the founding deed of the Capuchin Monastery in Klausen, which bears a Latin inscription. Beneath them, one can see doors and windows of monastery cells from which monks gaze.

Bischof Wilhelm Egger

Monuments in the Capuchin Garden

Open to the public.


Artist: Carola Heine. Unveiled in 2013.

The artist is from Bavaria, and currently lives in Lajen.
This monument depicts the head of the bishop of Bozen-Brixen, Wilhelm Egger, who died suddenly in 2008. Egger was a Capuchin monk, and spent the first years of his life in the order together with his twin brother Kurt in the Klausen Monastery. For the whole of his life, he harbored a great affection for the city, and was very concerned about its welfare.

Relief of Emperor Charles

Monuments in the Capuchin Garden

Open to the public.


Artist: Friedrich Gurschler. Unveiled in 2008.
This large relief of the famed sculptor (born in 1923 in Schnals) depicts Charles I, the last emperor of the Austro-Hungarian double monarchy, who died in 1922 on the island of Madeira.
Charles and Valentin Gallmetzer, the mayor and sculptor in Klausen, were close friends. That's why the former emperor donated a considerable sum of money to at least partially repair the severe storm damages of 1921. In 1955, Gallmetzer also created the life-sized cross which now adorns the emperor's grave in Madeira.

© 2020 Kulturgüterverein Klausen, Oberstadt 74, 39043 Klausen, St.Nr. 94067370216