© 2020 Kulturgüterverein Klausen, Oberstadt 74, 39043 Klausen, St.Nr. 94067370216

Historic Buildings

The Haus am Tor ("House at the Gate")

Marktplatz No. 1

Owner: City of Klausen / Chiusa
Viewing: The interior is not open to the public.

Owing to its excellent cellar rooms, this building is also referred to as the "Inner Cold Cellar House." Because of its location in front of the city gate, it is also called the "House at the Gate." This commercial building dates back to the Late Middle Ages and is situated in the town's central market place. Today, this building is home to both the Tourist Office and various local associations.

The Rathaus ("Town Council House") 

 

Oberstadt No. 74

Owner: City of Klausen / Chiusa
Viewing: The building is the location of various city agencies and can thus be viewed only from the outside.

The building was built in 1467 to serve as the parsonage for the Church of the Apostles. It continued to be used as such until 1843. Later, it was used as a municipal hospital and school. In 1929, it was rebuilt to be used as a Rathaus ("town council house") and location of the city administration. The building is connected to the Church of the Apostles (also known as the Hospital Church) by an arched vault forming the Brixner Tor ("Brixen / Bressanone Gate"). The broad oriel and the balcony with the ornate railing on the main façade facing the Eisack / Isarco above the entranceways are architecturally noteworthy.

The Grundschule ("Elementary School")

 

Oberstadt No. 72

Owner: City of Klausen / Chiusa
Viewing: Because this building houses elementary school classes, it can be viewed only from the outside.

This building is a former inn and stalls dating back to the Late Middle Ages. It is also referred to as the "House at the Bell" or the "Golden Lion Inn." The city acquired the building in 1911, and it has been used as an educational facility ever since. The interior was fully renovated between 1985 and 1987. On the façade facing the Eisack/Isarco River, there's a mural by the local artist Heiner Gschwendt.

The Bishop's Zollhaus ("Toll House")

 

Oberstadt No. 67

Owner: City of Klausen / Chiusa
Viewing: The building is the location of various agencies and can thus be viewed only from the outside.

This building dating back to the Late Middle Ages is believed to have been the location of the Bishop's Toll House from the 13th Century up until the dissolution of the spiritual principality of Brixen / Bressanone in 1803. From 1913 till 1929, it was used as the town council house.
The location of the building between the Stadtgasse and the steep way to Säben / Sabiona is responsible for its almost triangular design. There's a tower-like oriel at the front facing the street.

An open stairway leads up to the portal with the rounded archway. Inside, you'll find the old Toll House Room with the panelling, the large stove dating back to 1687, and the numerous angular rooms. The façade is decorated with numerous painted escutcheons of the Prince-Bishop of Brixen / Bressanone and a portrait of the patrons of the diocese.

The Former Frühmesserhaus ("Residence of Early-Mass Celebrants")

 

Oberstadt No. 64

Owner: Privately owned
Viewing: The interior is not open to the public.

This is a medieval building which was originally joined with the courthouse (Oberstadt 62). At around 1500, the building underwent major reconstruction. In 1753, it was designated by the Zoppoltian Beneficial Foundation as a residence for the early-mass celebrants of Klausen / Chiusa. On the front facing the Eisack / Isarco, there's a beautiful oriel. Inside, the building features beautiful vaulted ceilings, stone-framed doors, and stucco ceilings.

The Former Gerichtsgebäude ("Court Building")

Oberstadt No. 62

Owner: Privately owned
Viewing: The building is the location of various public agencies and can thus be viewed only from the outside.

The so-called "Neudeggische Behausung" ("Neudegg's House") was joined with the neighboring building (no. 64) until 1699. The building dates back to the Middle Ages, though the wing jutting out towards the Eisack / Isarco was built later. Since 1671, the building was the center of the town's judicial system – first for the bishop's city judge, from 1803 for the provincial court of Klausen / Chiusa, and finally for the Italian district court (pretura) until it was abandoned in the nineties. There was even a jail. The interior is noteworthy, with the ribbed vault in the ground floor, the doors with round arches or the agee arch, and beautiful vaulted ceilings and coats of arms.

The Old Rathaus (Former "Town Council House")

Oberstadt No. 25–29

Owner: Privately owned
Viewing: The interior is not open to the public.

This building dating back to the Middle Ages is located "am Hirschen" and was a gift of the Prince-Bishop Andrä von Brixen to the town (1609). The building was originally the seat of the town's municipal judge, but was also used a school building and town council building. The front door and front windows facing the street have plaster framing with volute gable. The front door displays the two coats of arms of Brixen / Bressanone and Klausen / Chiusa.

The Sparkassengebäude ("Savings and Loan Building")

Pfarrplatz No. 10–11

Owner: The Südtiroler Sparkasse (banking institution)
Viewing: The main lobby is open during banking hours.

This massive, town house dating back to the Late Middle Ages is a highlight of the Pfarrplatz. For centuries, it belonged to the Jenner Family. The building features beautiful bay windows and the remains of the Gothic frescoes depicting Saints Andreas and Nicholas dating back to about the year 1500. In the main lobby, there are some interesting stone-framed doors and paneled ceilings.

 

The Ansitz Bärburg (Bärburg Manor – now the parsonage)

St. Andreas-Platz No. 1

Owner: The town parish
Viewing: The interior is not open to the public.

The building was built in 1660 by Abraham Jenner the Younger and used as the official residence of the Jenner Family, which had been elevated to the nobility with the epithets "Bärburg" and "Seebegg." It features a broad façade, a saddle roof, and stucco vines around the windows. Since 1847, the building has served as the parsonage and residence of the town's Deanery

The Ansitz Seebegg ("Seebegg Manor")

Seebegg No. 36

Owner: City of Klausen / Chiusa
Viewing: The manor is now used as a school building. The hall for festive events is open during events.

The building is the residence of the powerful merchants of the Jenner Family, who owned and operated the nearby Pfunderer Mine. It also served also as their mining and metallurgical office. It was built by Oswald Jenner (1630 –1691) and features beautiful stuccos, wrought iron work, and inlaid woods. Inside, there's a great Baroque Hall.

The Ansitz Griesbruck ("Griesbruck Manor")

Bahnhofstrasse No. 4

Owner: Privately owned
Viewing: The interior is not open to the public.

This manorial estate was elevated to the rank of a noble residence in 1680. Starting in 1750, it was owned by the Counts of Wolkenstein - Trostburg. This richly furnished estate features ceiling paintings and stucco ornamentation in the interior. The main building is set back slightly, while there are elegant gate-houses bearing the coat of arms of the Wolkenstein Family directly on the street.

The Klausen / Chiusa Train Station

 

Bahnhofstrasse No. 20

Owner: The Italian Railway has placed the building at the disposal of the municipal government.

The town train station is an architectural jewel of the Old Austrian Era. The masonry consists of Grassstein granite, while the window and door frames are made of porphyry. The gable area is especially elegant, with richly detailed scrollwork. The inn has undergone careful renovation. Together with the avenue of sycamore trees from the time of the station construction during the Austro-Hungarian monarchy, the station forms a wonderful ensemble. The train station has not been in use for several years, now. The board of trustees for technical cultural artifacts, together with some railroad enthusiasts from Klausen / Chiusa, have succeeded in conserving the technical equipment (track switch system, signals, switches, etc.).

Castle Anger

Griesbruck No. 22

Owner: Privately owned
Viewing: The interior is not open to the public.

In 1264, an estate called "Anger" is first mentioned. In 1323m, a historical document mentions the "Fortress of Anger." Today's fortress can be traced back to the Lords of Neideck (1442–1591). The western tract, the bailey, and the enclosure wall are the oldest parts. At the southwestern corner, you can see well-preserved knightly buildings with a low tower. The inner courtyard is especially interesting. Extensive and appropriate expansions were carried out by later owners and the local poet Arthur von Wallpach (1866 –1946). East of the fortress, you'll find the service building with a core in the Late Gothic style.

Branzoll Castle

Säbener Aufgang No. 17

Owner: Privately owned
Viewing: The fortress grounds are not accessible.

This fortress is a city landmark, and was built around the year 1250 by the Lords of Sabiona. Between 1465 and 1671, it was the site of the Prince-Bishop's court judge. In 1671, it was destroyed in a fire. In 1895, reconstruction began. While the castle-keep still contains parts of the former fortress, the residential tract is completely new. The view from the church square of the buildings on both sides and the castle looming over it all is among the architecturally most breathtaking sights the city has to offer.

The Ansitz Rechegg ("Rechegg Manor")

Auf der Frag No. 17

Owner: Privately owned
Viewing: The interior is not open to the public.

The manor with its two semi-circular towers and a square tower was constructed in 1576 by Balthasar von Rech at the site of the former "Panzendorff" building. In the 16th and the 18th Centuries, the building was the court seat of Villanders / Villandro. The former courtroom of the Lords of Wolkenstein is located in the second story. In front of the entrance grate (at the bottleneck before the "Auf der Frag" Square), there's a charming shrine dating back to about 1500.

The Ansitz Fragburg ("Fragburg Manor")

Fragburg No. 1

Owner: Privately owned
Viewing: The interior is not open to the public.

This Late-Gothic building features pointed gables and a later addition on the south side. It was the residence of the Fragener zu Fragburg Family, who were elevated to the nobility in 1561. The Kapelle zum Hl. Kreuz ("Chapel of the Holy Cross") also belongs to the building. This chapel was consecrated in 1734 in place of a different chapel.

The Brückenturm ("Bridge Tower")

Färbergasse No. 18

Owner: The town parish
Viewing: The tower is inhabited and can therefore be viewed only from the outside.

Of the town's original four city towers, this is the only one still in existence. It was built in the early 15th Century as a bridge barrier, and served to access the Eisack / Isarco Bridge until it was relocated and rebuilt in 1881. With its cornerstones, ancient, gray walls, and inclined roof, the tower is a veritable gem.

The Former Almshouse and the Feuergasse ("fire lane")

Färbergasse No. 10

Owner: Privately owned
Viewing: The interior is not open to the public. The grids on both sides of the fire lane are usually not blocked. It is permitted to pass through.

This building dates back to the Middle Ages and served the town for centuries as the a hospital for the poor. The building has a round-arched door with a stone frame. Above that, there's a weathered fresco depicting Saints Sebastian and Rochus. The two walled-in archways (bowers?) resting on rectangular pillars are noteworthy. The building is situated at the lowest point of the city and, outside, bears a white stone indicating the height of the floodwaters of August 9, 1921. The passageway from the Färbergasse to the Mühlgasse is a fire alley. It's the only one in Klausen / Chiusa which passes through a private residence. Fire alleys played an important role in fighting fires. They represented a short-cut from the water supply to potential fire sites.

Spangler House

Pfarrplatz 1 and 2

Owned privately
Viewing: The interior is not open to the public.

This house at the Pfarrplatz together with the Branzoll Castle form a very popular photographic motif in the old part of town of Klausen.
The building dates back to the Late Middle Ages. The front facing the Pfarrplatz features a beautiful polygonal bay window, on the base of which frescoes are visible. Between the Spangler House and the neighboring house (Pancheri), there's a former fire department passage which leads up to the Branzoll Castle. The entryway to the Pfarrplatz is still visible, but it is unfortunately not possible to pass through it.

The Former Bozner Tor ("Bozen/Bolzano Gate") and Krautturm ("Herb Tower")

The Bozen / Bolzano Gate used to span the gap between the buildings of Unterstadt No. 13 and No. 24. This gate carried the "Kraut" ("herb") or Kreide ("chalk") Tower. This tower was decorated with a clock. The gate was well-secured by a drawbridge which spanned the Mühl Brook. In 1835, the gate and tower were taken down in order to speed traffic.

House at the Bozen Gate

Sabiona Ascent 2

Owned privately
Viewing: Can be viewed from the exterior, only.

The building dates back to the Late Middle Ages, and is one of the city's largest. On the façade facing the Lower Town, one can see a few stones of the demolished Bozen Gate, as well as some Late-Baroque decorative frescoes.
Inside, there is a spacious atrium with galleries, the parapets of which depict scenes of the Passion of Christ.

The Former Mineralienecke ("Mineral Corner")

Säbener Aufgang ("Ascent to Säben / Sabiona")

Owner: Privately owned

This little spot has a connection with the renowned local merchant Bruno Terzariol. He was an enthusiastic collector of minerals, and set up one of the most-frequently photographed corners of the town.

The Former Stadtwiere ("Open Water Supply Conduits")

The open water supply conduits passing through towns and settlements were referred to in German as "Wiere." They supplied craftsmen (e.g., blacksmiths, tanners, dyers, and millers) with running water and enabled women to wash their laundry. It was also the easiest method of disposal. With the installation of the town's first public water supply lines in 1879, these open conduits had become obsolete. In the area of the Gerbergasse ("tannery street"), however, they continued in use till the 1920s. In recent years, a few segments of these conduits were refurbished.