© 2020 Kulturgüterverein Klausen, Oberstadt 74, 39043 Klausen, St.Nr. 94067370216

Churches, Chapels and City Museum

Hospital Church or Sebastian's Church

Owner: The town parish
Viewing: The church is always closed and accessible only during religious celebrations or events. The key can be obtained at the town parsonage (office hours Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. till 10:30 a.m., phone: 0472 / 847 548). It can also be viewed in the context of a guided tour. More information at the Tourist Office.


Shortly after the year 1200, Bishop Konrad von Rodank built at this site a hospital for pilgrims. Its purpose was to provide travelers with lodgings and – if sick – care. The name "Hospital Church" reflects this history. It was consecrated in 1208 (lower church) and again in 1213 (upper church).
For a long time, the church was not only a part of the pilgrim hostel, but also the parish church of Klausen / Chiusa and Latzfons / Lazfons. Around 1470, the frequent flooding of the nearby Eisack / Isarco made it necessary to relocate the church into the town. As a result, the pilgrim's hostel was completely destroyed and abandoned. 
Only the small, round church – which is now dedicated to St. Sebastian – has survived to the present day. In 2003/2006, it underwent extensive renovation by the parish of Klausen (2003/2006). This jewel of Romanic architecture was thus saved from destruction. It is one of the few churches in our country with an almost circular design. From the outside, one can see 13 irregular, flat apsides – one of which is slightly more prominent. 
This is an allusion to Christ and His twelve Apostles to whom the church was originally dedicated. The building has a conical roof with a small ridge turret. Inside, the remains of Romanic frescoes can be admired.

The Pfarrkirche zum hl. Andreas ("St. Andreas Parish Church")

 

Owner: The town parish

Viewing: Can be viewed daily, from morning till evening.


The church must have existed prior to the year 1208. That's when it was mentioned for the first time in the context of the relocation of the parsonage to the Spitalskirche ("Hospital Church" - see no. 1). Of the original Romanic building, only a few fragments in the lower part of the tower survive. Today's Late Gothic church was built around 1494 by Benedikt Weibhauser of Brixen/Bressanone and consecrated in the year 1494. Inside, there is a brochure you can consult with information about the building's constructional history and works of art.

The Gruftkapelle ("Vault Chapel") of the Jenner Family

Owner: The town parish
Viewing: Can be viewed daily, from morning till evening.

This mausoleum – first mentioned in historical documents dating back to 1439 – is dedicated to the Suffering Mother of God. The chapel has a groined vault above pilasters and a rectangular central pillar. The baptismal fount dating back to 1617 is noteworthy. There is a valuable cross located on the exterior facade.

The Apostelkirche ("Church of the Apostles")

 

Owner: City of Klausen / Chiusa
Viewing: The church is open from Easter till late-October, from 9:00 a.m. till 6:00 p.m. (except Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays). ATTENTION: There is an alarm installation at the barriers. Inside, there is a brochure you can consult with information about the building's constructional history and works of art.


More details can be learned during the city guided tours.


This Gothic building, with a single nave, was constructed from 1467 to 1460 by the master-builder Jörg. From outside, you can see the simple portal, the small pyramidal ridge turret, the Gothic loft screen, and pointed arched windows decorated with tracery. Inside, the large Nativity Scene – whose buildings and landscape represent a model of the city of Klausen / Chiusa – is especially noteworthy. It was created in 1920 by Valentin Gallmetzer, the former town mayor and artist. The attached sacristan's house was used as a residence for the sacristan and served later as a school. Today, municipal government offices are now located here.

Former Kapuzinerkloster ("Capuchin Monastery")
 

Owner: City of Klausen / Chiusa
Viewing: The public offices and services (Municipal Museum, library) are open during the stated business hours. The church and cloisters can be viewed during the tour through the Municipal Museum. The garden and the ascent to the Capuchin Mount are open to the public.

During its existence, the Capuchin Monastery of Klausen / Chiusa has exercised a central religious and pastoral role. In 1972, it was closed down and offered for sale to the city government of Klausen / Chiusa. Today, the rooms are used for cultural and social purposes. The monastery's origin can be traced back to a foundation of the Spanish Queen Maria Anna von Neuburg-Palatinate. It was built in 1698 at the request of her confessor, Father Gabriel Pontifeser, a native of Klausen / Chiusa. The architecture of the church is typical for a Capuchin building. It was built in 1699 and consecrated in 1701. Above the entrance (from the outside), one can see the statue of St. Felix of Cantalice and two angels holding the insignias of the Spanish Royal House. Inside, the altar paintings by Paolo Pagani and Stefano Maria Legnani are especially noteworthy.

The Municipal Museum and Loreto Treasure
Frag, Capuchin Monastery

Owner: City of Klausen / Chiusa
Viewing: The Municipal Museum of Klausen / Chiusa has the following business hours: April till late-October, daily from 9:30 a.m. till 12 noon and from 3:30 p.m. till 6:00 p.m. – Closed Sundays and Mondays.

At the Municipal Museum, visitors can view sacred objects, paintings, and objects from the town's artistic period, as well as special exhibitions. The tour will also take you into the cloisters and the church of the Capuchin Monastery. The Loreto Treasure is found in the second story. This priceless collection of paintings and sacred works of art was a gift of the Spanish Royal Couple and of other high personages at the Spanish Royal Court to Father Gabriel Pontifeser and to the Capuchin Monastery in Klausen / Chiusa.

The Loreto Chapel

 

Owner: City of Klausen / Chiusa
Viewing: The building is open from Easter till late-October, from 9:00 a.m. till 6:00 p.m. (except on Sundays and holidays). Access only from the street side – not from the Capuchin Garden.

The Loreto Chapel was constructed on the site of the so-called Zoppolt House. It was here that Father Gabriel Pontifeser was born. For many years, the chapel was in an extremely precarious condition. This was finally corrected in 2002, when it was thoroughly renovated. The Loreto Chapel was constructed in 1702/03 as part of the Capuchin Monastery by the Spanish Queen Maria Anna von Neuburg-Palatinate and consecrated in 1723. It represents a reproduction of the Holy House of Nazareth located in Loreto near Ancona. Inside, one can admire, inter alia, the altar panel by Nicola Fumo and paintings by Spanish artists.

Lanziner Kapelle

Die Kapelle zum heiligen Kreuz mit dem hübschen Zwiebelturm entstand um 1734 an der Stelle einer älteren Kirche.

Im Privatbesitz

 

Besichtigung: meist geöffnet, Gitter am Eingang

The Abtei zum Heiligen Kreuz ("Holy Cross Abbey")

 

Säben

Owner: Abbey of Säben / Sabiona
Viewing: The cloistered part of the monastery is not open to the public. Visitors can ring a bell at the monastery gate in order to purchase picture postcards and information brochures.

The monastery can be traced back to its foundation by the pastor and canon of Klausen / Chiusa Matthias Jenner. The first nuns came to Säben / Sabiona in February of 1685. Its regular operation commenced on November 18, 1686 when Agnes Zeiller was appointed prioress. 13 years later, it was elevated to the rank of an abbey. Aside from short interruptions during the Napoleonic Wars, the monastery has continued operating up to the present day.

The Kirche zum Heiligen Kreuz ("Holy Cross Church")

 

Säben
Owner: The town parish
Viewing: The church is open daily from morning till evening.

The continuity of the cult at this venerable site can be traced back to the early Middle Ages, on to the Romanic and Gothic church, all the way up to today's building (which was built at about 1679). Once inside, visitors are frequently astonished by the virtuosity of the murals and ceiling paintings, which were probably made by a local painter (Johann Baptist Hueber). In the apsis, one finds the Crucifixion Group of the Master Leonhard von Brixen.

The Liebfrauenkirche ("Church")

 

Säben
Owner: The town parish
Viewing: The church is accessible in the context of guided tours. Information at the Tourist Office of Klausen / Chiusa. 

This inconspicuous (from the outside) octagonal building was built between 1652 to 1658 by Giacomo Delai. Inside, there is a ceiling painting by the Baroque painter Stefan Kessler, splendid stuccos by Francesco Carlone and Simon Delai as well as the altar by Rumpf from the year 1612. The baptismal fount located in the next room and accessible from inside the church dates back to the time of early Christianity (2nd half of the 5th Century).

The Gnadenkapelle ("Grace Chapel")

Säben


Owner: The town parish
Viewing: The chapel is open daily from morning till evening.

This small, inconspicuous chapel has an apsis still displaying Gothic building components dating back to the reconstruction of the Liebfrauenkirche. At the New Gothic high altar, a copy of the valuable Madonna of Säben / Sabiona can be seen. The original (by the Master Leonhard of Brixen / Bressanone) is kept under protection in the monastery.

The Klosterkirche ("Monastery Church")

Säben


Owner: Abbey of Säben / Sabiona
Viewing: The church is open daily from morning till evening.

This simple and plain building was constructed in 1687 by Giovanni Delai. After collapsing, it was re-consecrated in 1693. The walls of the nave are hung with former side altar paintings depicting the founders of the order, Benedict and Scholastica. Inside, a splendid wrought-iron grating separates the visitors area from the nuns' area.