Restaurations

In recent years, the Association of Cultural Treasures and Monuments of Klausen / Chiusa has restored the following objects:

Lourdes Grotto

 

The masonry in the Lourdes Grotto near the Capuchin Church 

Viewing: Open to the public

2018

The Lanziner Chapel

The Chapel of the Holy Cross with the lovely onion dome was built about 1734 at the location of an older church.

 

Viewing: Usually open; gate at the entrance.

Gravestone of Franz Leopold Balthasar Zungenberg

This beautiful marble grave marker memorializes Franz Leopold Balthasar Freiherr ("Baron") von Zungenberg. This family came from Bosnia. Franz Leopold's father served in the Turkish army. During the siege of Budapest (1686), he was captured by the Austrians, changed his name (from "Czonka Beg" to "Zungenberg"), and converted to Catholicism.
His son Franz Leopold Balthasar, to whom this gravestone is dedicated, had a successful career in the Austrian army. We meet him on many battlefields – in northern Italy, on Sicily, on Corsica, in Hungary, and in Serbia. During the Polish War of Succession, Zungenberg was severely wounded in the Battle of Guastalla on February 17, 1735. He died in Klausen / Chiusa on his way home to Vienna. The Austrian army leadership honored him with this memorial stone.
Viewing: Open to the public. This gravestone is located outside of the Parish Church.

Family Plot of the Jenner Family

The Jenner Family was especially successful in Klausen / Chiusa. For over two hundred years, members of this family held influential and prestigious positions. At the same time, they had many valuable buildings constructed in the city or acquired several already-existent ones, e.g., the Sparkassengebäude ("Savings & Loan Building" - see No. 12), the Bärburg (Nr. 20) and Seebegg (Nr. 21) Manors, and the inn Gasthof Grauer Bär (No. 25).
Christoph Jenner the Elder founded a chapel for the deceased members of the family and simultaneously donated a large sum of money so that a Mass for the Souls of the Dead could be said every year and also to give the poor of the town an opulent meal as well as provide them with clothing.
In 1636, his nephew Abraham Jenner had the valuable copper-inlaid and gold-plated epitaph for Maximilian Kössler Pöckh made. It depicts the Taking-Down of Christ from the Cross.

 

Viewing: Open to the public. This gravestone is located outside of the Parish Church.

Gravestone of Lutz zu Glatsch

This is the oldest gravestone at the Parish Church. It is decorated with coats of arms and helmets, and is dedicated to the memory of the deaths of Michael Luz zu Glatsch (1582) and his spouse Rosina (1605).
 

Viewing: Open to the public. This gravestone is located outside of the Parish Church.

Stone Bearing Coats of Arms at the Tinne / Tinna Brook

These two stones bearing coats of arms date back to the year 1750. Since the establishment of the Bishopric of Säben / Sabiona in the second half of the 6th Century until the year 1818, the mountain-pass (defile) of Säben / Sabiona and the Tinne / Tina Brook the border between the bishoprics of Säben (later: Brixen / Bressanone) and Trento. In 1027, when the bishop of Brixen / Bressanone became the territorial ruler, the border advanced to become also the provincial boundary between the ecclesiastical principalities of Brixen / Bressanone and Trento and thus also between the archdiocese and the County of Tyrol.

Shrine at the Ascent to the Säben / Sabiona Monastery

The precarious state of the shrine has been resolved by the restoration. The picture (restored by the Säben / Sabiona Working Group) depicts the encounter of the resurrected Christ with Magdalene.

Mount of Olives Scene

The sculpture depicts Jesus on the Mount of Olives, an angel lifting a goblet towards Him, and the sleeping disciples. In the background, Jerusalem spreads out underneath heavily clouded skies. Judas and the captors are entering through the gate.
The relief dates back to about the year 1600 and was created by an unknown, but very productive master. Stylistically, it can be categorized as "Late Gothic".

© 2020 Kulturgüterverein Klausen, Oberstadt 74, 39043 Klausen, St.Nr. 94067370216